Jeremy Corbyn exchanged not one single word with Boris Johnson apart from the word “careful” when there was almost a crash between MPs.
The big picture:
Deliver departure from the EU and put together legislation that will ensure exit on 31st Jan 2020;
Lead trade negotiations with other economies;
Set up a new Commission that examines the broader aspects of the constitution; and
Remove Fixed Term Parliament Act
- “Bring forward changes to business rates”. Widley confirmed initially as cuts in business rates of 50% for retailers;
- New measures will see smaller businesses pay less in tax for example, raise the national insurance threshold; and
- Increase tax credits for R&D.
Burdens on Business:
- Increase national living wage; and
- Remove barriers to flexible working and promote equal pay.
- Legislation to support victims of crime and their families;
- Ensure that anyone that is found in possession of a knife is dealt with by swift justice;
- Create a fair justice system;
- Establish a Royal Commission to review the criminal justice process; and
- New sentencing laws including terrorists will have to service longer sentences.
Devolved Parliaments and Constitutional Reform:
- Re-establish devolved government in NI; and
- Ensure there is a minimum level of service during transport strikes.
NHS and Social Care:
- Ensure that the NHS multiyear funding settlement will be enshrined in law;
- Create a points system for immigration for those that will work in the NHS and to fast-track key workers;
- Remove hospital parking charges for “those most in need”;
- Strengthen support on mental health; and
- Reform for social care so that no-one will need to sell their home if they need care.
- Increase funding per pupil in education; and
- National skills fund.
- Environmental bill to enshrine environmental principles;
- Legally binding "improvement targets" to reduce plastics, cut air pollution, restore biodiversity and improve water quality.
- Create a points system for immigration;
Armed Forces/Defence and Development:
- Promise 2% for defence spending;
- Target foreign spies in the UK;
- Look to halt “vexatious” claims against the armed forces; and
- Review that will look to cover all areas from defence to development.
- Increase internet safety.
- Lifetime deposit scheme for renters;
- End no fault evictions;
- Make homes available at a discount for local first-time buyers.